January - a roundup of fun stuff

 

I've been meaning to do an update on where I am with some of the goals I mentioned in this post. (I haven't updated on our financial/retirement goals for a long time because we've been at that really boring stage where nothing really interesting happens, just the numbers go up slowly and steadily. However, I will be updating you in the next few weeks because things are going to be a bit exciting soon. I shall say no more!)


Art - ended up expressing myself creatively in a different way to painting - sewing! I haven't done anything with the sewing machine for a couple of years then suddenly I had an urge to pick up the fabric one Sunday evening and make myself a couple of face masks. Can't believe I actually did it instead of making excuses, as I have done every week since last year's lockdown! 



Striking while the iron was hot, I decided to make a plastic bag holder with a gorgeous Emma Bridgewater tea towel I was given. I knew I would never use it as a tea towel, as it was too nice to ruin, but wanted to see it every day. The tea towel was already seamed so all I had to do was sew the long edges together and then thread some elastic through the bottom seam. It already had a hanging loop on it.



Because of these two projects, I've slightly adapted this goal to include anything crafty, and this month I have a goal to make a new cover for my buckwheat hull pillow. It's 20 years old and has holes, but is a vital for me to comfortably sleep so I will find a suitable fabric from my stash, use the old cover as a template and reuse the zip. 


Also, I found myself a free art history course to do - History of Art and Western Civilisation - over at the Smarthistory.org site but I haven't started it as I keep being side-tracked. I'm only really interested in the Renaissance and Pre-Raphaelite period, but some of the other historical periods (particularly Egypt) look so interesting I might go through those as well.


The Gothic - After my last post I had a good clear out of my wardrobe, getting rid of anything that didn't 'spark joy'  and went on a hunt for some basic additions to my wardrobe. This is rare for me. I hate a) shopping and b) paying full price for anything 😊 I found only one item I liked but unfortunately it was so poorly made I sent it straight back when it arrived.


Cheap sweatshop clothes made of thin, shiny unflattering material. I'm not sure what I thought it would be made of when I ordered it but lesson learned. I'm back to square one. I'd like find something made of a reasonable-weight cotton or jersey that is sustainably produced and isn't so thin it shows my underwear. It's actually a really tall order.


When I started looking at other aspects of how I dress I realised I have been hiding parts of myself because I don't want to have to deal with other people's silly comments. For example, I like strong, dark coloured nail polishes and winged eyeliner but don't often wear them as they can attract somewhat negative attention. So, last month I ordered a couple of nail polishes - black and petrol blue - and a liquid eyeliner for myself and have started wearing them. I've only had one person comment during a meeting to say I was doing so well to get dressed nicely and do my make-up and nails every day. It was a genuine compliment and made me feel good. 


Jigsaw puzzles - actually managed to get three done in the last month and am on to my fourth. 





Martin made me a jigsaw table for Christmas using the base of an vintage ironwork garden table that the previous owners left behind. He made it so it can sit flat or at various angles and is just the right size for a standard sized 1000 piece puzzle. This is it at the highest angle but I rarely have it up that high, it's usually only about 3-4 standard books high.



Reading - I manage to read five books in January.

Wedlock, How Georgian Britain's Worst Husband Met his Match by Wendy Moore
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (better late than never!)
Can't Hurt Me by Dave Goggins
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert
Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson

I'm happy with that!


Exercise - some good and bad here. Managed 300 crunchies for 24 days, then my birthday happened. I didn't do any that day as my brain talked me out of it, and then the curry and alcohol that night upset my system for days. In the last seven days of the month I did a grand total of 200 crunchies. Oops!Bit of a fail there.


Still, in January I completed 7,400 crunchies, walked/ran 68km and did 27km on the exercise bike (last two days of the month; Martin bought a secondhand one for my birthday and I finally got it set up). I also managed 4 sessions of bodyweight circuits and 3 yoga sessions. I lost 4lbs in weight, no longer have a bad back and my posture has improved. 


Something definitely to be said for strengthening your core!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog