First run in over 5 years





Yep, you read that right. It's been 5 years since I donned the trainers and went out for an intentional run. I've put trainers on to wander down to the shops and do a bit of gardening but actually have a pair of running shoes, put them on and run up the road? Long time. 


I'm doing the Couch to 5K plan here on the NHS website.


Actually, I'm making myself sound like some kind of gazelle. I didn't just run up the road. I staggered a lot. Coughed a bit. Got a tiny blister on the back of my right heel, which I accidentally ripped off this morning with a towel after a shower (note to self: add plasters to the shopping list). The last 10 seconds of each running segment was tough but I did it.


I'm not using the podcasts associated with the plan - I live in an area with narrow roads and no pavements so I need to hear road traffic approaching. Instead I took a stopwatch out with me. 


So why this sudden fest for sport? Well, I've realised I need to overhaul my thinking about my health. If I don't take steps to improve my physical health I will be at a disadvantage when it comes to recovering fully from COVID if I catch it. I want to increase my lung capacity first and foremost so I'm able to breathe much deeper and build up my breathing muscles. Add in a good dollop of fresh oxygen for its restorative powers and hopefully a bit of weight loss and muscle tone, and I'll be happy.


I realise it might not be the ideal time of year to start this but better to get up and get on than sit and wait for the ideal time, which usually never comes. I'm aiming to be running 3 miles (5k) by March. 


At the same time I've made a discovery with my diet. Most evenings over the last few months I've felt  uncomfortably full, even painfully so, after dinner. More by accident than anything I found that grains and white potatoes are causing it. I had to use up a lot of veg recently that I accidentally over ordered in my shopping so started switching sweet potatoes and parsnips for normal potatoes and rice, and spiralised/strips of courgettes and butternut squash for pasta. I suddenly realised I no longer felt bloated and uncomfortable.  



I still eat some bread now and then - let's face it, some days are so grim you just need that bacon and fried egg sandwich - but otherwise I've dropped the processed grains and white potatoes and feel a lot better for it.

1 comment

  1. I found exactly the same when I ditched bread for a while. I couldn’t believe how much difference it made. Well done on the run. I did exactly the same thing on Monday before work. Still feeling the effects on my leg muscles today – Thursday. I too want to increase my strength. I am 60 years old now and I want to finish well! I work in a hospital and I see daily the effects of sickness on people who haven’t taken care of themselves. So well done for making the effort. It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog