When I was younger


I'm 46 this month.

When I was younger, I worried about what people thought of me.

I worried whether they thought I looked too fat, too thin, too muscly. I worried about what I looked like in photos compared to them.

I worried they might think my clothes were too tarty, or hippie, or unfashionable.

I worried they might think I spent too much money, or not enough, or on the wrong things.

I worried they might think I was drinking too much, or not enough, or the wrong thing.

I worried about what they would think of my furnishings, or wallpaper, or paint colour.

I worried about what they might think if they found out who I voted for because they might not like it.

I worried about my performance at work, about whether I shined too much or not enough and what people would think of me as a result.

I spent a lot of time hiding who I was. 

When I turned 40, something turned in me.

Now I worry about my weight in case it is damaging my health, not so I can pose for a 'skinny' trout pout selfie (I do still worry about what I look like in photos though! Old habits die hard).

Now I worry about whether my clothes are good quality, comfortable and reflect me, not whether I'm wearing expensive, fashionable, poor quality 'one-season' items made in sweat shops.

Now I worry about whether my money should go towards supporting local businesses, or my retirement, or experiences that feed my soul, or give more to charity more, not whether I have a new car or clothes or watch or handbag.

Now I worry about where my food and drink come from, is it home-grown, locally-grown or shipped from abroad? Who grew it? Is it seasonal? Is it tasty? 

Now I worry about whether my furnishings, paint and wallpaper choices make me feel relaxed and at home, not whether they follow seasonal trends.

Now I worry about how my voting choices will affect my future. I'm interested in how others vote and their reasons why, but won't be swayed to gain their approval.

Now I worry about whether my work contribution is enough to meet our company goals and hit profit targets so everyone benefits. If that means I shine bright, good, I shine to everyone's benefit. If someone doesn't like that because it makes them feel insecure about their own endeavours, tough.

I wish I could tell the younger me I was worrying about the wrong things. I might have found my groove sooner.

Getting older has benefits :))))

1 comment

  1. So true. I’m in my late fifties and it is so true that you care less about what people think of you. I wish I’d had this confidence as a younger woman. One thing I am impressing on my grandchildren is the joy of hobbies. Something that you can turn to as an outlet after those tough days at school, or on days when you feel nothing is going right, as an antidote to feeling like you don’t fit in.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog