Reclaiming the weekend


It's been a beautiful quiet weekend so far. So far there's been pancakes for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and dinner, and lots of lots of reading and dvd watching.

I'm really starting to enjoy the weekends far more than I ever used to. Just a few months ago, weekends were just two days I had to spend tidying, cleaning and preparing for the next week. Two days up early as normal and filled with knocking tasks off a to-do list, not to mention a touch of resentment. 

I have had a bit of a change of heart lately though. I seem to have entered a kind of relaxed state, which I think has been leftover from the summer when it was too hot to do much of anything. I had to work through tasks quite slowly and thoughtfully to avoid getting exhausted, making decisions on which ones were urgent and which were not and could be abandoned. 

Rather than springing up and cracking on with tasks, I now make a point of 'camping out' in bed with tea and breakfast on the weekend mornings, reading mostly blogs and financial articles, but sometimes a few chapters of whatever book I have on the go. Both Saturday and Sunday afternoons I might complete specific task, such as lawn-mowing or preserving, or go out to town to have a mooch around the charity shops and pick up some yellow sticker bargains from the supermarket on the way home. 

This weekend I didn't want to go anywhere. I've had a horribly busy week at work this week, including two days in the office staying over in a local hotel, and was sorely in need of rest. I needed to thoroughly recharge my batteries. 



So, I finally started Simon Schama's A History of Britain DVD series that I was given for Christmas. I haven't wanted to watch the series until I had the time to read the accompanying three books, and finally I decided I would start this weekend. I'm only watching the first two DVDs - 3000BC up to about 1600AD - so it lines up with the timeline of Volume 1 of the book when I read it - and it is very enjoyable.

I'd forgotten how savage, scheming and bloodthirsty we all used to be!

1 comment

  1. Lovely post. I too came to the same conclusion about weekends. We are grandparents and we both still work, but also do a lot of babysitting, which we love but which also can be quite exhausting. I used to have the family over for dinners on a Sunday, but this year I have been changing it to more of a Saturday brunch so that my husband and I can have one day where we don’t have to look after anyone but ourselves. Sundays have become a pleasure rather than a chore now. Church in the morning and a good rest in the afternoon reading, watching gardening or history programmes on telly, maybe the odd nana nap. You are right, it is so important to rest and recharge. By the way I am still unable to read the co meets, do you know how I can?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog