Satisfying finds


Since we've moved up here, my yellow sticker snufflings have taken a bit of a beating.

Previously there were several different places I could go to find yellow stickered items on the way home from work. My freezer always had interesting cheap stuff in it. Now I work from home, yellow sticker shopping means getting the car out or walking 50 mins to town at the appointed time and struggling back with heavy bags. In other words, i hardly ever do it any more. I've resigned myself to only having a look whenever I am in a food shop, but often that is during the day and there is very little in the way of bargains. I've found the odd bits of cheap fruit and veg, a free range chicken half price a couple of times, and some M&S soups for 60p instead of £2.00 but nothing to write home about.

Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I was in town at around 3pm and decided to do my week's shopping while I there. I never shop on a Saturday normally because of the crowds, but the intermittent storms during the day had cut down the amount of people shopping and I fancied a charity shop snuffle in the quiet (not to mention read the weekend newspapers in the library!). In supermarket terms, this lack of people meant less food had been sold and a lot of end of day bargains. Normal prices are in brackets.

Amarillo Chilli chicken drumsticks and thighs 99p (£4.00)
2 x Asian style chicken pieces 89p (£3.50)
4 reduced fat beefburgers 64p (£2.50) 
British beef shin casserole £1.24 (£5.00)
2 x asparagas, brocolli and peas 59p (£1.75)
2 x 4 nectarines 59p (£1.50)
Pack of mange tout 84p (£1.25)

That's most of a week's main dinners for £5.78 as oppose to £19.50. Just need to add some extra veggies and salad, a bit of rice and the odd potato. If Martin is very nice to me, I'll do him a crumble with some of the nectarines. 

We had the chicken drumsticks on the right last night with one of the packs of asparagus, broccoli and peas. I cannot honestly see how Sainsbury's can charge £4 for 8 marinaded drumsticks, which apparently would serve 6 people. Are they joking?? One drumstick each and presumably your guests fight to the death for the remaining two. The 99p I paid for that is about the maximum I would pay for yellow stickered flavoured drumsticks, given a kilo of drumsticks cost £1.65 at Lidl. And don't get me started on that £5 casserole.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog