Happy (nearly) New Year! So I got the planner...





Sorry, I didn't come back before Christmas as I was flat out on work deadlines up to the last minute and then cooking for two days. I finally feel a bit more human today so came back to blog. 

I gave in on the whole journal planner thing...I'm sure you knew I would...and put it on my Christmas list 😀 (somehow, the Daily Stoic Journal also slipped onto my list. I've been eyeing it up for a while). I've been sat here working on the annual forecast part of it, deciding how I want this year to pan out, what I want to focus on and want I want to spend less time focusing on. Things have gone off track for me a bit over the last six months, and I'm not making decisions based on things that are important to me. 



I like the layout of each page because it is based on the Eisenhower decision matrix that I have used and I know works for me. There are weekly, monthly, six-monthly and yearly reviews of the most important self, relationship, passion and work goals.

The Daily Stoic Journal is a bit different. I've wanted to learn about Stoicism for a while but it is difficult to get a good idea of something this complex by just reading a big book. When it comes to learning, I favour learning-by-doing. 




Stoicism was practised by the ancient Greeks and Romans (Marcus Aurelius was the most famous Roman practising its tenets) and developed a philosophy of personal ethics based on using self-control and fortitude as a means of overcoming destructive emotions. This journal is a learning tool, looking at a Stoic idea every week and encouraging self-reflection each day using guided questions. 




I thought it sounded an interesting way to keep those things that are most important in life top of mind, and help me become a bit more centred and grounded. Stress has really been getting to me lately and I need to take a step back and consider whether some things are worth the aggravation. 

There's an interesting article about the benefits of Stoicism here.

So, with less than three hours to go before midnight, it's almost time to out the old and welcome the new. 

Happy New Year!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog