What would you do if you had 10 years left to live

Well, another thought experiment has landed courtesy of Saving Ninja

What would you do if you knew with absolute certainty that you would die in exactly 10 years time. It doesn’t matter how you know this or what you will die of; in 3652 days you will drop dead.

Hmmm...what I would immediately do is eerily similar to what I would do if I won £1 million

I would tell no-one...husband...hotel...scream…swear to secrecy…

Why the secrecy? I've no problem with Dh's feelings and opinions, but other people's? No. I don't want to know. Once people find out I have a terminal illness, from then on every comment or opinion on my life choices would be couched in terms of the illness, and they will be mostly negative. I would get 'The Look', the 'Poor You' pitying look that I absolutely despise. And of course there are those who could only focus on the terrible impact my news has on them. I have one of 'those' people in the family. You know the ones I mean, I'm sure. 

So, what I would do would depend on whether I was dropping dead at a specific hour in 10 years or winding down in health until incapacitated and dribbling.

Dropping dead at a specific hour
Really, 10 years to live is too long to contemplate stopping work. I would carry on working for five years to secure DH's financial future, but I would change the destination from where I would do this. I would persuade my DH with everything I could muster to live abroad in the sun with me. I only need a laptop to work and I only pop into work once a month now, which is doable. I'm sure DH could pick up some work to bring in a few pounds here and there. There is a great deal of difference doing an eight hour day in, say, Spain than doing the same hours in England. I would invite BIL to come and live in the house for a low rent to look after MIL and keep an eye on the place. He’s currently renting and would probably appreciate the security.

In five years, I would look at cutting down work to 2-3 days per week. Still saving though.

With two-years to go I would give up work completely and go travelling on the savings with DH.

Before the appointed hour, we would return to the UK so I can drop dead here and be cremated. We already have life insurance policies so that would pay off the house, leaving DH with various pensions and the cars as assets after I die.

Health winding down

Ditto for the first five years except I would make sure that I would live in the most advantageous climate for the management of my health problem. After five years I would look at either cutting down to part-time or give it up completely to do some travelling for a year or two. When it was obvious it was becoming too difficult to manage any more, I would then be presented with the most appalling decision.

I want to toddle off to Dignitas in Switzerland to ensure a painless death. I do not want to die in this country as the welfare services for the chronically ill and/or incapacitated are not good. We have the Liverpool Care Pathway, which is inhumane and nothing more than legalised torture. We treat animals better than we treat the terminally ill. We’re not terribly logical or civilised in this country.

However, if I take my own life our insurance policies would, unfortunately, be null and void. There is no payout for suicide. DH would be left with a mortgage.

So if I want DH to have a secure financial future, I have to endure a horrendous long and drawn out painful death unless I can figure out a way to discreetly top myself. Difficult to be discreet about these things if you are incapacitated and need care. And what if they mistakenly think DH has done me in? It doesn’t bear thinking about. 

This has been an interesting exercise for me so thank you to Saving Ninja for that. As much as I think I am in control, life has a habit of showing me I'm not. I had never considered what would happen if I had a long drawn-out illness. In my mind, I have always just died suddenly and so my preparations have been based on that. 

I guess I have some more planning to do. 


Here are a few other bloggers' views on this thought experiment:

6 comments

  1. Great answer and thank you for taking part! Love the abroad plan. If you'd be happier abroad, and you have the means to do so - what's stopping you from moving now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH and an elderly MIL who lives with us. It would need to be something large, final and 'understandable' to both of them to precipitate the move. DH currently has his barns and is happy pootling with his cars so only something of this order of magnitude would persuade him to change. Sad, but true. I have already expressed a desire to spend a month of so away in a hot country during the winter when he retires so it may be that our impending holiday to Oz in January will show him what he is missing.

      Delete
  2. Interesting that your initial reaction will be the same as the lottery win, but it makes sense.

    In my mind, I too would not tell people at the start, they don't need to know. I would continue to work for some years too before deciding on how I can spend the pot/give away the pot I have been accumulating for retirement. Maybe ensure I have enough for a trip to Dignitas!

    Ill health is something I've been considering, not just physical health but mental health - it's all very well me enjoying tinkering with my spreadsheets and numerous accounts but at some point, everything will need to be simplified so that my elderly brain will be able to cope with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even considered that aspect of it. I also keep looking at my plethora of accounts and thinking I need to write a guide for DH in case anything happens to me and update it at least annually.

      Delete
  3. I never considered the "illness" side of this question as it wasn't stated, but you are right it would change plans considerably. I think everyone would take a short sharp end of a long and painful demise. Makes it even more of a depressing thought experiment! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit depressing, it has injected a dose of realism into my plans that was lacking. I've done scenario planning before but I didn't consider this.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

Read my old blog